(479) 754-3357 Leave a Review
1101 E. Poplar St, Clarksville, AR 72830
Call Us Today (479) 754-3357 Se Habla Español Request an Appointment Leave a Review

Is Flossing Really That Important? Your Dentist in Clarksville Weighs in

March 3, 2018

Filed under: Uncategorized — arvdteam @ 8:22 pm

blue container of floss openYou’re serious about your dental care, which is why you’re sure to brush your teeth twice a day. This leaves you feeling pretty confident that you’ve thoroughly cleaned your teeth and successfully defended yourself from troublesome bacteria that cause tooth decay, gum disease and a host of other problems. Your dentist in Clarksville says as noble as your efforts are, they aren’t enough. So as you continue reading, you’ll learn why flossing is so important to incorporate with toothbrushing in your oral hygiene routine.

Why Should I be Flossing?

Although it may seem that brushing your teeth thoroughly cleans them, the reality is that it only addresses 60 percent of the surface. The remaining 40 percent can only be cleaned with dental floss. This is because flossing addresses the hard-to-reach areas between your teeth, which are just impossible for a toothbrush to probe. Thus, leftover food particles and bacteria find a safe-haven there if you don’t floss.

What are the Dangers of Not Flossing?

The hidden food debris and bacteria begin to accumulate and form plaque, a sticky film that coats your teeth and slithers beneath the gum line. As it spreads, it releases harmful acids that cause tooth decay and contributes to the inflammation of your gums, a condition called periodontitis.

Is There a Correct Way to Floss?

Here are some techniques and pointers to keep in mind so that you can get the most out of your flossing efforts:

  • Pull out around 18 inches of floss from the dispenser when you start.
  • Wrap the ends of the twine around your index and middle fingers.
  • Hold it tightly as you descend between your teeth, forming a ‘C’ shape around each one. Move the floss in a back-and-forth motion, then up and down to thoroughly clean the sides of your teeth.

Be careful not to use a soiled portion of the floss, as this will be counterproductive to your efforts. If you notice slight bleeding at first, don’t be alarmed. Through your consistent efforts, your gums will adjust to the flossing and will be healthier as a result.

By flossing and brushing at least twice a day you will put up a strong line of defense against harmful bacteria and will enjoy fresher breath. And don’t forget that your oral hygiene efforts will work in tandem with your semi-annual visits to your dentist for cleanings and checkups.

So after adding flossing to your regimen, be sure to reach out to your local professional to schedule your preventive dentistry appointment today!

About the Author

Dr. Stephen Fisher has been practicing dentistry for nearly 40 years and remains as passionate today as when he first started. Throughout his career he’s made it a priority to stay on the cutting edge of the latest technologies and equipment through postgraduate training and his affiliation with professional organizations. Dr. Fisher offers expert care at Arkansas River Valley Dentistry and can be reached for more information through his website.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.